Saturday, February 5, 2011

Desperate!

One of my 2011 goals is to get the Max Starr series up in print. The first two books, Dead to the Max and Evil to the Max are out there! And this month, Desperate to the Max is available. I’ve reworked the text for some of the technology changes we’ve experienced since I first published the series and put the books out there under my Jasmine Haynes pseudonym. They’re also available in all the e-books formats as well. I absolutely love the new covers my friend Rosemary Gunn made for me. So here’s a little tidbit about Witt’s mom, who you will meet in Desperate to the Max. There are many similarities between Ladybird Long and my own mother. Like how she saves everything, and uses the little cartons meat comes in to package up her tarts for the church bake sale. You just have to love Mom! She’s British and went through rationing during WWII, and you just never stopped saving everything and finding other uses for it! However, she doesn’t save old magazines, just want you to know that! Here’s more on Desperate to the Max.

Thirty-something, down-on-her-luck accountant Max Starr has the unfortunate gift of being psychic, a newly-discovered wrinkle in her already messed-up life. Her husband, Cameron, is dead, killed in a botched 7-11 robbery two years ago. In her grief, Max has cut herself off from friends, moved out of her San Francisco home in favor of a studio apartment, and dumped her flourishing career as a CPA to do temp work.

Now Max has developed an annoying penchant for attracting the spirits of murdered women. Okay, they possess her. And to exorcize them, Max must unmask their killers. But how?! By stepping into the void their deaths created, taking their jobs, befriending the loved ones they left behind. Max goes wherever she has to go and does whatever she has to do.

In Max’s latest adventure, by day, poor pitiful Bethany Spring runs a courier service for housebound people; by night, she becomes the seductive Helen on the other end of the phone line and men will pay anything to talk to her. When Bethany is murdered, the brutal slaying plunges Max into the woman’s kinky after-midnight world. Barely surviving this crash course in Phone Sex 101, Max turns once again to her late husband Cameron and hunky Detective Witt Long to help her crack the case.

Needing Witt for his detecting skills is one thing, but meeting his mother is scarier than facing down a cold-blooded killer. What commitment is the irresistible detective going to extract from her next? Max almost prefers being possessed by a spirit.

Check out the excerpt for Desperate to the Max. What’s the name of the street where Max is waiting for Witt? Leave a comment with the answer the question and your contact e-mail address to enter my drawing for a copy of Evil to the Max, the second book in the Max Starr series. I’ll announce the winner on my next blog, and I’ll also add you to my newsletter for updates if you aren’t already a member. And congratulations to Desere! You are the winner of The Night We Kissed by Laurie Brown. Please email me your snailmail address to skully at skullybuzz dot com. (Yes, it’s working again!)

6 comments:

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Happy Superbowl!

Estella said...

This series sounds great! Max was waiting on Garden Street.

kissinoak at frontier dot com

Rosemary Gunn said...

Thank you so much, Jas!! The stories inside the covers are so heartachingly beautiful, I am truly honored have helped you get them into print. Thank you for the link to my page, too. You're the best!

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thank you, Estella! These have always been the "books of my heart" as writers call them.

and thank you, Rosemary for putting together those wonderful covers! and thank you for loving the books! max lives!

gardensnail said...

Spent then morning. Looking. For an e copy of " Power to the Max". Guess it is not available yet. you got me hooked". Read the first three in two days.... When and where will it be available? Stephanie

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh my Goodness, Stephanie, you're so fast! I'm so glad you liked the books! I'm almost done getting both Power to the Max and Vengeance to the Max ready. I hope to have both up by March, fingers crossed!

 

Customized Blog by Author Designs